Sunday, May 11, 2014

Maker Family Time

Lately, I have been inspired by the Maker movement.  At heart I have always been a maker and have called myself a tinkerer, engineering, hacker, mad scientist, inventor, etc.  I have tons of ideas for projects I want to try, things I want to do and gadgets to play with. 

I also really need a hobby; I need something that is creative and allows me to decompress.  My life is busy and between work and kids I need something to keep me grounded.  However, I always have a hard time with “hobbies” there is always much more “important” things to do with my time.  I should be reading important books, working on projects around the house, catching up on my work.  Also, I have four kids under the age of 7 and frankly I feel guilty about spending time by myself when I could be spending time with my kids (which I also really enjoy).

Anyway, I had an epiphany: why can’t I mix my ideas for being creative and building and share that with my kids?  Quite honestly this was a revelation, many of the projects I discard because they are “silly” and not practical. However, with kids many “unpractical” projects become learning experiences and just plain fun.  

Looking back at play time with my kids, we are already a Maker Family.  I am putting together this blog to help remind me of some of the wonderful projects we have already done and hopefully inspire some new projects.  

Please let me know what you think.

- Dirk

No comments:

Post a Comment